Asian Vegetable Soup
The delicate combination of veggies in this week’s boxes made us think of one of our favorite soups right away! A blend of Kale, Shiitake Mushroom, Asian Turnips and Green Onions will warm you through and through (especially if you add some of our own Hot Sauce or Ground Hot Pepper to it!). We don’t have a Soup & Salad Box this week but the basic ingredients are in the Farmer Picks. ; )
1. Wash, trim and chop into bite-sized pieces: 2 pounds Mixed Roots (we use Asian Turnips, Rutabagas and Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes),
1 pint Shiitake Mushrooms and ½ pound Kale. Be sure to remove the Shiitake stems as they are fibrous.
2. Saute Veggies with 2 Tablespoons Oil in a soup pot for 5-10 minutes just until they start to get tender (we use Peanut or Coconut Oil).
3. Add 6 cups Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth or water (or a mix).
4. Season with 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger (or 1 Tablespoon fresh grated Ginger), 1 Tablespoon Crushed Garlic (or 1 teaspoon ground dry Garlic) and Red Pepper flakes to your taste.
5. Simmer for 20 minutes, taste and adjust for seasoning if necessary.
6. Serve with washed, chopped Green Onions and/or chopped Peanuts for garnish.You can also add chopped cooked Chicken or Tofu cubes just before serving.