This can be very rustic or quite elegant, depending on how you slice the roots. Try thicker chunkier cuts or a mandolin for very thin slices. A favorite side dish or star of a Vegetable Plate!
1. Wash, trim and peel 2 pounds of Mixed Roots (peeling is not necessary for all Roots, just if the skin is tough).
2. Layer alternate colors of Roots in a square baking dish, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Dot the top layer with 2-4 Tablespoons Butter, pour 1 cup of Cream (or Half and Half) over all. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with foil or lid.
4. Grate 1/2 cup Cheese of your choice, set aside.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.Top with Cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until browned and bubbly. If you cut the Roots quite thickly you may need to add some more baking time.
6. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving (reheats wonderfully for leftovers!).