– 2 pounds Mixed Roots (Sweet Potatoes, Turnips, Potatoes and Rutabagas)
– Soup Veg (Carrots, Celery, Green Onions)
– Fresh Herbs (Rosemary and Parsley)
To Prepare Soup:
- Wash, trim and chop Mixed Roots into 1″ cubes. There is no need to peel the Roots, you will get the added benefits of extra fiber and flavor! Toss with just enough Olive Oil to coat, season with salt and pepper. Place on a lined baking sheet in a single layer and roast in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes, stir once or twice.
- Wash, trim and chop Soup Veg into bite-sized chunks, toss these also with enough Olive Oil to coat, season with salt and pepper. Add to Mixed Roots in oven for the last 5-7 minutes of roasting. Roasting the vegetables gives them a nice depth of flavor and develops some of the natural sugars.
- Place vegetables in a soup pot, add 4 cups liquid of your choice (Vegetable or Chicken Broth) and additional seasonings as desired (garlic, hot pepper flakes, cumin, etc.). Stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Wash, trim and chop finely Fresh Herbs, add to soup.
- At this point we would use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the soup to the preferred texture. When Will makes this soup he likes to puree until smooth. When Laurie makes it there are some chunks still involved. Try it different ways!